The Department of Statistics at The Ohio State University offers a Master of Applied Statistics, Master of Science in Statistics, a PhD in Statistics and jointly offers a PhD in Biostatistics with the College of Public Health. We invite you to explore our website, and in particular this prospective students section for information on how the program works, admission, funding, life at Ohio State, living in Columbus and careers to learn more about our programs. For details on the requirements of each of our statistics programs, please refer to our program guide. Information on our PhD in Biostatistics can be found on the PhD Program in Biostatistics website.
Rankings and Recognition
Listed below are just a few of the department’s recent rankings and accolades. Visit the news and events section of the website for more highlights from the department, including student and faculty awards.
- The National Research Council (NRC) ratings, which were released in late 2010, rank our program:
- 18 among all graduate programs in Statistics
- 10 among all public institutions with graduate programs in Statistics
- 20 overall (10 among public institutions) in faculty and graduate student research activity (a combination of publications, citations, percent of faculty holding research grants, and recognitions through honors and awards)
- 13 overall (8 among public institutions) for the percentage of graduates placed in academic positions
- 13 overall (6 among public institutions) for the percentage of faculty holding research grants
- We are also among the top 20 Statistics graduate programs overall (top 15 public institutions) in several other categories, including number of graduate students, faculty size, average number of PhDs graduated per year, percentage of female graduate students, and percentage of female faculty members. We are also one of 22 graduate programs in statistics (15 at public institutions) that provide the full range (all 18) of designated student activities to our graduate students.
- The Wall Street Journal ranked The Ohio State University 12th in the nation for sought-after graduates.
- The department has a significant presence at the Joint Statistical Meetings. We are pleased that 15 of our graduate students presented their research at the 2016 JSM.
Tell Us About Yourself
Tell us about yourself! Fill out our contact form to give us some preliminary information about you. Note that filling out the contact form does not constitute as an application for admission to our programs, but it will keep you on our radar for further communication.
Refer to our prospective graduate students pages for details and frequently asked questions. Information on our PhD in Biostatistics can be found on the Interdisciplinary PhD Program in Biostatistics website. Additional questions can be directed as follows:
- Questions about the online application, transcripts and test scores can be directed to the Ohio State Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org. See their website for more information.
- Questions regarding the admissions process can be directed to email@example.com.
- Specific questions about our programs can be directed to Department of Statistics Graduate Program Coordinator, Caitlin Donahue (firstname.lastname@example.org).